Published on April 4th, 2015 | by Mark
Best Treatment For Plantar Fasciitis
Plantar Fasciitis is one of the most painful foot ailment in the modern world. A significant number of the population are widely seeking an immediate remedy to get rid of heel pain and relief from this debilitating foot condition. It affects people from stepping up and waking up in the morning until they retire at the end of the day.
Table of Contents
Milestones to combat plantar fasciitis
In a recent clinical trial, a group of medical experts experimented with several techniques that have shown a positive effect on people with chronic plantar fasciitis. These techniques are the following:
Soft tissue mobilization with massage. For ten minutes, the therapist using enough deep pressure will massage the medical and lateral areas of the posterior calf using the medial and lateral approach.
Graston Technique ® The technique uses stainless steel instruments to comb, identify the scar tissue and break it down for it to be absorbed by the body.
Interventional radiology treatment. Utilizing ultrasound images and specific ultrasonic energy, the treatment penetrate, emulsify and remove the diseased and damaged tissue totally eliminating it from the plantar fascia area and allow new tissue growth and healing.
Night splint works for those achy feet
A night splint on the calf allows the process of healing while the plantar fascia is in a supine or flat position while a person is asleep. The position creates an effective less tension during the first step in the morning for which most people with plantar fasciitis experience a most excruciating pain. Though the splint can be commercially brought and made from commercially produced plastic, the ideal splint can be molded according to the exact shape of the feet using plaster or fiberglass materials.
Surgery is the last option
After exhausting all available non-surgical and other non-invasive treatment, doctors would have no other option but to treat plantar fasciitis through surgery in the plantar fascia. Depending on the patient’s health condition, the type of surgeries for treating plantar fasciitis are the following:
- Plantar fascia release. This procedure covers the part cutting of the plantar fascia ligament to release the tension and relief from inflammation in the area.
- Removal of heel spur. Involves permanent elimination of the affected heel spur and loosening some specific foot nerves. But for people who developed large heel spurs over the years, the pain became numb through years therefore surgery becomes irrelevant and removal of heel spurs will now become a thing in the past.
The debilitating pain of the feet
All over the world, plantar fasciitis affects the lives of most adults. In fact an estimated over a million1 cases of ambulatory care population were recorded by a national study of medical doctors conducted by Riddle DL, Schappert SM and was published by the NCBI in the year 2004 reveals that plantar fasciitis is a leading debilitating foot condition. This the reason why many people have sourced out far and wide about proven ways on how to get rid of heel pain.
The shock absorber of the human body
The plantar fascia in our feet plays one of the most important roles in our body. Every time we move by standing, sitting, walking, running and just about everything that concerns in bringing balance to our body, our feet’s plantar fascia takes all our body weight and acted as a shock absorber to bring our body always in balance. It bears all the hard work of all our daily routines.
Easing the pain in every step
Heel pain running on your feet is simply a crippling condition and could ruin the best part of your day.
There are popular ways of reducing the pain brought about by plantar fasciitis and below are just some of them:
Ways on how to reduce heel pain when running
- Physical therapy for the achy feet. Physical therapy has one of the leading mileages in alleviating the plight of the people suffering from plantar fasciitis. It is also one of the most preferred non-invasive treatment for treating plantar fasciitis. Physical therapy can define a program of mobility routines to treat and heal the feet’s painful plantar fasciitis.
- Plantar fasciitis exercises. These are routine workouts carried out as remedy to the pain associated with the plantar fascia of the foot. These routines are developed to manage the discomfort brought about by the pain on the heel and the area of the plantar fascia.
- Observe safety running and proper foot strides. Be aware that proper rear foot striking must always be attained to alleviate the stress and improper foot muscle impact. Be sure to regulate foot impact by practicing proper landing transition of each foot. The proper way to stride should be landing your feet safely. Most people especially runners are rear-foot strikers. Their rear foot often landed first on the ground and does not properly transition to the forefoot or midfoot transitioning. This causes the whole weight of the body to be borne mostly by the heel causing painful stress and inflammation.
- Taming the ally of your feet. Of all the body parts, the one that compensate with your every movement and act as an ally to the stress undertaken by the feet are the hips. The hips can greatly compensate with the plantar fascia in the weight bearing of the entire body during the performance of every activity. Exercise routines like doing a one-legged squat while your femur is about parallel with the ground as your knee remains pointed straight ahead will help strengthen your hips.
- Botox toxin to kill the pain2. This injectable offers the fastest route to eliminating the pain better than steroids according to the journal Foot & Ankle International released by SAGE.
- Stress on the shoes but not on the feet. Running safely involves getting a pair of a plantar fasciitis shoes that offers comfort and less pain on impact are the prime requirements in looking out for a good pair of shoes. The shoes should not add more stress and tension on what the feet has been experiencing for the body’s regular activities but rather offers comfort and alleviate the pain on the plantar fascia of the feet.
The crippling pain of the feet brought about by plantar fasciitis is a condition that was being felt by the entire body and could ruin performance of each activity. It is therefore vital that one should take necessary options to address the pain being felt by the feet the soonest possible time. Balanced diet, enough rest and physical therapy exercises are all vital in achieving a healthy body free from all kinds of discomfort and pain. Along this line, the right feet apparel and equipment plays a vital role in keeping and giving comfort attention especially to the plantar fascia area of the feet and can spare the feet from the pain and ultimately surgery as well as the discomfort it brings to other parts of the body. The pain and discomfort brought about by plantar fasciitis not only affect the feet and the body but one’s productivity and actions as well. Keeping your feet away from discomfort and pain will pave way for a better and healthier body and wellbeing as a whole.
- Treatment for Bunion Pain
- Sandals with Arch Support
- Slippers With Arch Support
- Top Plantar Fasciitis Night Splints
1Riddle DL, Schappert SM. Volume of ambulatory care visits and patterns of care for patients diagnosed with plantar fasciitis: a national study of medical doctors. Foot Ankle Int. 2004;25(5):303–310.
image credit: “Gray441” by Henry Vandyke Carter – Henry Gray (1918) Anatomy of the Human Body (See “Book” section below)Bartleby.com: Gray’s Anatomy, Plate 441. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons.