Published on April 23rd, 2015 | by Mark0
5 Best Slip Resistant Shoes for Women of 2015
Did you know that slips, trips, and falls (STFs) are the most common form of workplace injuries for women? Slips and falls can easily cause injury or in some cases even cause death. A sprained ankle can hurt for weeks, as can a bruised tailbone.
Thankfully, the risk of tripping, slipping, or falling can be greatly reduced by the use of slip resistant shoes for women.
What to Look For
Many shoes claim to be slip resistant but lack the qualities that will truly set it apart from regular shoes. Look for:
- Sizing and Fit
Sizing and fit is important for the proper fit. This determines how comfortably the shoe will cradle the foot. If the shoe is too lose it can cause discomfort and increase the risk of an ankle injury. A shoe too tight will rub and create friction and blisters.
The insoles, the interior of the shoe, should be well padded particularly for women who spend long hours on their feet or on hard surfaces. A well cushioned insole can minimize the problem of plantar fasciitis.
The lining of the shoe should reflect its purpose. For a shoe used for high activity the lining should be mesh fabric to keep your feet cool and dry. The same can be said about uppers. The upper is the material that covers the toes, sides, and top of the foot. This material should also match the activity level.
The midsole is the part of the shoe that provides the foot with support, stability, and cushioning. A good midsole will provide proper arch support, and will decrease the strain on the knee, leg and back. If you suffer from flat feet or high arches the midsole is a very crucial component when it comes to choosing a shoe.
The tread is what determines how well the shoe resists slips. The spacing and the depth of the tread determine its effectiveness. It is said that treads with more 90 degree angles help decrease lateral slips.
Once you have obtained a slip resistant shoe it is important to check the depth and space of the shoe periodically as it wears down with time, decreasing their effectiveness. As a general rule, the more rubber to grip the floor, the better.
Whether you are looking for slip resistant work shoes or slip resistant running shoes, the shoe market offers a wide variety of styles and prices to choose from. Below you will find five common favorites among women.
The top 5 shoes slip resistant shoes for women
1. Women’s Soft Stride Softie Sketchers
Sketchers brand offers several models of slip resistant shoes. This particular model costs around $59.99 and has been tested for its slip resistant properties.
The Softie model features:
- Smooth leather upper
- Removable PU footbed, breathable lining, and lightweight
- Mark II ASTM-tested slip-resistant, oil resistant, high-abrasion rubber outsole.
- Available in both medium and wide sizes
2. Vitality by Shoes for Crews
This company offers over 100 styles at an affordable price. Independent studies have shown that Shoes for Crews has a friction level of 0.58 out of a total of one. This is much higher than the 0.3 average of its competitor’s brands.
Shoes for Crews offers women shoes that are made from an exclusive rubber compound and feature micro-channel tread patters that allow liquids to channel away from the bottom of the sole. This creates a shoe capable of withstanding wet or greasy floors.
They are built using quality leather, a vegan-friendly canvas or water=resistant ballistic knit. Comfort has been thought of and is seen in the breathable linings, cushioned insole, and padded collars. Prices start as low s $35 dollars for Shoes for Crews footwear.
This company offers:
- Casual slip resistant shoes
- Work Boots
An example of a slip resistant sneaker/athletic shoe would be their Vitality Shoe. This shoe comes in a charming gray and lavender color combination, and is available in black as well as gray and pink. It costs $54.98 and is extremely lightweight, weighing only 9 oz.
- Water-resistant breathable mesh
- Leather upper
- Removable cushioned insole
- Reinforced heel and padded collar/tongue
3. Timberland PRO Power Train
Timberland PRO Power Train sells for $102.50 and has a stylish athletic design. It comes in three color options and those surveyed have felt it was true to its size.
The features of the Timberland PRO Power Train are:
- Breathable mesh with antimicrobial treatment
- Upper consisting of premium microfiber and leather
- Alloy safety toe for lightweight protection
- Cement construction for flexibility
- insulating PU midsole for electrical hazard protection
- Slip resistant, non-marking, abrasion resistant PU outsole
- Anti-fatigue technology for support/comfort
4. Keen Utility Fling Low ESD Soft Toe
The Keen Utility Fling work sneaker is designed to keep you comfortable all day and sells for $110. It features a water resistant leather upper, a waterproof/breathable membrane as well as a dual density compression molded EVA midsole. The footbed is also made of duel density EVA and is removable.
Additional features include:
- Reduces static electricity
- Midsole features metatomical footbed design for arch support
- KEEN patented toe protection
- Contoured heel lock
- Oil and slip resistant
- Reflective webbing for visibility
5. Dansko Pro XP Stapled
Dansko shoes range in price from $100 up to $150 depending on the exact model of the shoe chosen. The Dansko Pro XP Stapled is available in 14 different colors/prints and is sold for $149.95.
This shoe has long been noted for its quality and comfort. It has a lightweight construction, certified slip resistant outsole as well as a removable foot bed.
- A closed-back clog design for heel comfort
- Stapled construction for durability
- Dual-density removable footbed
- High quality leather material
- Toe Protection
Slip resistant shoes for women are plentiful on the market. These non slip shoes for women range in style from work boots, to casual, to clogs, flats, and even those with a formal appearance. This allows women to chose a style that appeals to them without losing the valuable slip-resistant feature. This feature is vital to prevent falls, slips, and trips that are the most common cause of workplace injuries.
The top five models listed above all boast of comfort as well as slip-resistant against oil, grease, and smooth surfaces often found in hospitals. Some even protect the toes in the case of a falling object, while others provide protection against electrical hazards.
1. “Dansko Pro XP Stapled.” Pro XP Stapled. Web. 10 Apr. 2015 <https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/dansko-pro-xp-stapled-brown-floral-tooled/36668>.
2. “GRIP.” Shoes For Crews. Web. 10 Apr. 2015.
3. “How Slip-Resistant Shoes Can Put Money in Your Company’s Pocket — Occupational Health & Safety.” How Slip-Resistant Shoes Can Put Money in Your Company’s Pocket — Occupational Health & Safety. Web. 10 Apr. 2015.
4. “KEEN Footwear – Women’s Flint Low ESD (Soft Toe).” KEEN Footwear. Web. 10 Apr. 2015.
Credit Image: by Program Executive Office Soldier, on Flickr